Saturday 9 June 2012

Another year... another amazing show!


I did it, they did it... WE did it!! The CCAD ED Fashion & Clothing Summer Show of 2012 has been deemed a success and yet, I still look back and wonder how the hell we ever get to a finished show!!

8 years ago, there was no indication of what this job would entail. Naively, I just thought I'd come in on a morning and teach a bit of fashion design and then go home! Nothing could have prepared me for the reality and although I only imagined I'd be there for a year or two, nearly 8 years on I can't imagine doing anything else!

This job isn't just about going in and teaching. I'm a counsellor, a confidante, a friend, a stand in parent, an ear to bend, a shoulder to cry on & so much more! Some days are tough. Some days I want to walk out of the front door and not look back but most days I thrive on the development of my students & their funnyisms keep me going!

They come to me as shy kids just out of school. They have no idea what they have let themselves in for but in just 2 short years, we mould them and help them to grow. We build their confidence, we guide them and we support them. We also give them no bullsh*t. We tell them like it is. We yell at them and reduce them to tears. They yell at me and reduce me to tears... it's called tough love. They'll look back one day and it will all make sense!!

I adore every one of my students. As much as they do my head in they make my job so worthwhile! I will never forget being a fashion student myself and I want to pass on the experience that I had. The good times and the bad times.

The fashion industry is one of the toughest industries to survive in. It can be pretentious and fake. It is full of arrogant people.. but it is also one of the best industries to work in. It has unlimited talent and there are no restrictions! It's what makes the world go round. We need clothes!! My gang are just starting their journey. They're going where I've been, and I want to help them through it!

My uni days were the best days of my life. I worked as hard as I played & I reaped the benefits eventually. I got to work for some amazing companies and I got to work with some amazing people and I feel like I've gone full circle. 

So, for the 7th year I can finally sit back again and feel proud of the achievements of my students. And I guess I can feel a little bit proud of the part I've played in helping them realise their ambitions!

I also look forward to the 33 Facebook friend requests I'll get at the end of this week as they know that although they leave CCAD on Friday, they will never leave my thoughts & I will always be here to help them in any way I can!! They will remain 'my kids' for life! xx








No comments:

Post a Comment